“What It Really Takes to Get an Abortion”
- The clock is ticking: With every few days that passes, an abortion becomes more expensive — and fewer clinics will perform them.
- Escort: The outside of a clinic is often surrounded by protestors. A volunteer escort can help you enter a clinic amidst intimidation and threats.
- Government-issued ID: From clinics to courts to hotels, many institutions along the way require an official ID. Without proof of legal residency, you are not eligible for Medicaid coverage of your abortion.
- House key: Without a permanent residence, it is difficult if not impossible to secure a line of credit or register for Medicaid or other public benefits in order to pay for an abortion.
- Transport: Only 13% of US counties have an abortion provider, and of those, state laws further restrict their ability to operate. Many people must travel in order to find a provider, adding additional cost.
- Credit card and cash: Most clinics only accept cash. Most hotels require a credit card and deposit. Without both a line of credit and available cash, it can be impossible to have an abortion.
- Blood test: Depending on your blood type, clinics may charge up to hundreds of dollars in additional fees to cover the costs of an unlikely transfusion.
- Cell phone: A secure, safe way to make calls to clinics, abortion funds, and hotels is necessary to coordinate an abortion.
- Ultrasound: Every clinic requires a sonogram, which adds extra cost. If the clinic cannot legally perform an abortion due to how many weeks pregnant you are, your new clinic must perform their own sonogram. Some states mandate expensive medical imaging that goes beyond determining trimester, adding further financial and psychological burden.
- Judicial bypass: Many states require consent or notification of a parent or guardian for minors seeking an abortion. The only exception to this law is if a minor obtains a judicial bypass. Even if successful, the time it takes to process a bypass can result in a much more expensive procedure.
- Lodgings: If travel is required to reach a clinic, or if your procedure is scheduled over multiple days, the clinic may require proof of lodging or hotel, adding unforeseen costs.
Bringing this back around again because it’s super important to remember what an abortion really means. From the Third Wave Foundation. See their emergency abortion fund report here.
(Source: athenasaurus, via republicanidiots)